PA's oldest continuously operating
child welfare agency
- 1822: Our beginning as an orphanage in Philadelphia
- 1915: Shelter and education for girls, Cheyney, PA
- 1974: Friends Shelter for Girls, West Chester, PA
- 1982: Friends Association for Care and Protection of Children-broad range of child welfare services in Chester County
- Currently: Focus on two housing services for families with children which address:
For over 190 years Friends Association has provided essential social services for children and families. Our programs, which have changed over time in response to the needs of those we serve and the needs of the community, currently focus on homeless or near homeless families with children. We operate one of only three family shelters in Chester County and one of the few homeless prevention programs in the region.
Our goal is to strengthen our community by helping the families we serve find or maintain permanent housing and achieve stability and self-sufficiency.
Give the gift of security
to a family
Would you like to help families set up a new home?
It's easy—join our SOS Network.
- Giant or Acme gift cards for food
- Kmart or Walmart gift cards for clothing and other necessities
- NEW bed pillows
- Rite Aid cards for formula, diapers, medications (Rite Aid is walking distance from the shelter)
- New twin size bed sheets, blankets, and bedspreads
- New kitchen and bath linens
- Paper products: paper towels, toilet paper, and napkins
- Personal care items: shampoo, toothpaste, etc.
- And for fun . . . movie gift cards