Outreach to Homeless Families
Our Outreach to Homeless Families program helps families with children who are experiencing homelessness but who cannot enter the homeless shelter system due to capacity issues. This program began in July 2014 in direct response to a community need identified through the Chester County Decade to Doorways: 10 Year Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness Intiative.
Families in this program are referred by the Connect Points Program of Family Service of Chester County. Once a referral is received our trained case manager immediately reaches out to the family and meets them where they are. Sometimes that is at a local library and sometimes they are staying with family members or friends. At that initial meeting an evaluation of the families needs is made and an intial emergency plan is created. Often we are able to stabilize the families where they are and then work with them to address their issues until they are back in permanant homes of their own. Other times we work to make the family safe and support them until shelter space becomes available.
Once a family is safely housed our Outreach Case Manager steps out of the situation and continues to work with other families in need. Our ultimate goal for this program is that families will find permanent housing and never have to enter an emergency shelter.
Give the gift of security
to a family
Would you like to help families set up a new home?
It's easy—join our SOS Network.
- Giant or Acme gift cards for food
- Kmart or Walmart gift cards for clothing and other necessities
- NEW bed pillows
- Rite Aid cards for formula, diapers, medications (Rite Aid is walking distance from the shelter)
- New twin size bed sheets, blankets, and bedspreads
- New kitchen and bath linens
- Paper products: paper towels, toilet paper, and napkins
- Personal care items: shampoo, toothpaste, etc.
- And for fun . . . movie gift cards